Our Family

Monday, July 7, 2008

4th of July Weekend

Fourth of July weekend had it ups and downs...

Down #1: Our air conditioning went out on Wednesday night. Thursday was the hottest day of the year so far here. Up #1: Jeff's brother Scott and his wife Estelle live about an hour away and they let us stay the night Thursday and hang out until we "thought" our air was fixed.
Estelle took these cute pictures of Jack...he LOVES to wear hats...even if it isn't his.
Up #2: Since we were close (and thought it was patriot) on the 4th we visited Hill Air Force Museum. It was AWESOME!!!
Down #2: It didn't have air conditioning either.
UP #3: That evening we headed home and we watched fireworks with some of our friends (they were so nice to invite us). This was Jack's first reaction to the first firework...ha ha

I like this picture of Jack, Anneliesa, and Ethan watching the fireworks.
Vince and Ethan (and my leg)

Jack cuddled with Daddy for half of the "show"
Down #3: Jack didn't like the noisy fireworks. So sad!

But he got over it. Side note: Jack LOVES to give hugs these days.
It had been a long, hot, sweaty 4th of July, but we sure are glad we live in America (where we have air conditioning).


Happy ending!
Side Note: On Sunday Jeff spotted a few things in our dumpster. Now if you know us AT ALL...you know that I LOVE to Dumpster Dive!!! Most our furniture the first couple years was taken from the dumpster outside our first apartment. I just love getting something free and then cleaning it up (or painting, or whatever) and seeing the great "treasure" it is. This baby exersaucer was in the dumpster. It looked really bad...but I knew it had potential...the first picture was half way through the cleaning and disinfecting stage so imagine it 50% worse.
After the process it looks like it is in good shape... (I always look online to see how much it is) This goes for $69 at Walmart. I wanted one really badly for the next baby but was looking for a bargain...I guess I got one...just the price of cleaning supplies and a roll of paper towels (much cheaper than $69).
Next was a swing...(this is cleaned up). It is just missing the tray but it is one you can plug into the wall (wish mine was). It was $79 online. TOTAL DEAL!!

Last but definitely not least...this kitchen booster seat. The tray was broken and it was missing two straps but these are $25-30 in the stores. I cleaned it up and then got online to order a new tray and straps. A new ENTIRE tray was only $1.50 and the straps were even less...so brand new for under $3 (if something is missing it is usually really cheap to replace it with the company. I just call and price it out and usually end up buying it...also a great thing to remember if something of yours breaks...WAY cheaper to replace one piece to buy a new one). So this was my favorite part of the weekend. I love a good STEAL...or uh...DUMPSTER DIVE!!!

3 comments:

Mick and Tiff said...

Looks like you had a great 4th even with the A/C problems. So sorry! And Congrats to Jeff for losing weight. I thought he was looking different the last time I saw him at church.

jessica said...

Who knew the treasures you can find dumpster diving...I am so impressed!

Sorry about the air comditioning...been there...done that.

kdance said...

Ha, ha, ha! I LOVE dumpster diving! I found a BBQ @ Meadow Chase once, and it worked great. Evan has that exact same Exersaucer. Those are the best.