Most of you know that a year ago (this month) Jack was accidentally exposed to peanut butter. He had a pretty good reaction but we didn't take him to the ER (Dad and Dr. Grandpa were standing by to make that call). Lately, I have been having the feeling that we really needed to have him tested again (he tested negative for peanuts at 6 months old). I had been getting pretty relaxed about having things with peanuts in the house and even giving him things that said they were "manufactured in a plant with peanuts". I mean, even our pediatrician said it was probably okay but that we should retest sooner than later. Well, today we went to the Allergy Specialist and Jack has the MOST SEVERE ALLERGY POSSIBLE to peanuts. It is a life-threatening allergy! I had to go through epi-pen training and a lot of other education about peanut/nut allergy. He may NEVER have things with even a trace of peanuts and because of the severity of it, he can not have any other tree nut as well (because of so much cross contamination, they said). He is required to wear an allergy bracelet. I was wondering about pollen allergies because this Spring and Summer, each time he would go outside his nose would run non-stop and he has really dark circles under his eyes (known as allergy shiners, I was told when the doctor saw them this morning). The doctor told me that it isn't very likely that at his age he would react to out-door allergies, but he did. He also has significant Spring Pollen allergies (that most likely will worsen over the next couple years). Poor kid. And just so you know, this house is now a NUT-FREE Zone (don't laugh too hard on that one...). We have a lot of changes to make around here.
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Hang in there. Our youngest is airborne allergic to peanuts, and anaphylactic to trace amounts as low as 10ppm. Just letting you know that you're not alone. :-)
Sad poor jack!
Hiram had a reaction to grasses and his eyes got all puffy. The Dr. told me about the allergy shiners and I realized how often he must have been suffering. Now I know I have to give him the claritin just for black eyes he seems to do better.
Good luck with the no nuts. I don't think I could do it. Peanut Butter is a staple in our house.
Search #foodallergy or #peanutallergy on twitter and you will find an abundance of links, info, and other blogs to assist in dealing with the many but manageable issues that arise. @pnutfreeplanet or @pnutfreeworld (trying to change acct name).
I'm glad you found out that way instead of a worse case like Stacy and Matt. Good luck on the nut free thing.
I am going to email you some info I have on getting rid of allergies. This is soooo scary!
Holy poopin' peanuts! I will be very careful about what I buy or bring to your house. That is scary, and I am SOOOO glad you are on top of things and had Jack tested. You are a great mom!
Post a Comment