In a couple weeks, Drew is having surgery at the Children's Hospital. My parents are both coming to help with Jack and to be with Drew and me at the hospital. It's a bit of an embarrassing surgery for Drew. He was born with two genetic birth defects on his "man" parts. He was actually pretty lucky that he didn't have to have emergency surgery at birth because it didn't effect his urination. My uncle had it and did have to have emergency surgery or his bladder would have ruptured. So anyways, his urethra tube is too short and doesn't extend all the way to the end where it should. He wasn't circumcised because they will use that tissue to reconstruct and lengthen the urethra tube (or he would have had to use donor tissue). You can read about it here: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003000.htm. On top of that he has a 45 degree twist (normal is 0-20 %) that they will have to surgically straighten. Around 6 months of age is the best time to do it (he'll be 5 months). Poor little guy. It will be sore and black and blue for 2 months afterwards. He is lucky that it isn't more severe (needing up to 3 surgeries). Apparently, there is a 20% chance that a biological brother will have it as well (but on the opposite side 80% won't). I know a lot of you have had infants in the hospital. Have you got any advice?? I'll admit, I'm pretty nervous.
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
My advice: prayer =) Tate's had a minor complication with his circumcision, so I can imagine your worry. Even when it's a routine low-risk surgery like this sounds, I feel your worry! Everything will go smoothly and you're right that at least it's not worse.
Good luck!
My thoughts and prayers. Yes it's minor, and yes they say it's routine and they can tell a mommy to relax and not worry but that all goes out the window when it's your child. My grandson just went through a similar venture last week...all was fine but the mom's in the waiting room and grandmas too were a wreak. On the plus side...the surgery is done now at theis tender young age and Drew won't remember any thing of the pain thankfully. Know in thought we all have our arms around you. ---Pendleton Oregon
I'm even a nervous Nelly when it's just tubes in the ears. My advice after prayer is just always staying well aware of all that's happening and just staying with him. Good Luck.
Oh, his poor little man part!!! I'm sorry, little dude! You should talk to Kim Scadlock. Beck had issues with his little man part, too. He couldn't get circumcised either for a long time because of his heart and other health issues. He had the circumcision and the surgery for the other issue (hydrocils, I think) last year. I'm sure she could answer a lot of your questions. Of course, he is a very different case, considering he was and still is so immuno-suppressed because of his heart medications and is very prone to infection. Drew will do awesome! I just feel bad that he'll have to be sore for a while :( We'll be praying it all goes well!
Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family as well. I hope Drew will have a fast recovery. Sarah
I'm so sorry that poor little guy has to go through this! No advice, but I agree with Shelly that prayer is the best thing I can imagine to help. Good luck with everything!
I hope everything goes well for you little one. That is so great that your mom will be there for Jack. He will really love the extra attention. My only advice would be to have things that comfort him on hand. I am sure you have thought of this already. It will turn out great.
Post a Comment