Our Family

Friday, April 4, 2008

Turning One Seems to have lots of "Firsts"


He's sleeping sideways in his crib. He is way too long so his knees are bending up. Lately, we have seen him sleeping on his side, on his back, on his tummy, and everywhere in between, but always with Linus. AKA: Green Satin Blanket.
Becoming "one" has also been the beginning of lot of other new "firsts." Here are a few things that have happened over the last few days:
1. His love of the vacuum has increased (I thought it was bad before). He goes crazy trying to get to it when he hears me turn it on. Most kids don't like the noise.
2. Because of the love of the vacuum, he scared me half-to-death when I was vacuuming and thought he was playing in the other room, but when I turned the vacuum off and turned around, he was RIGHT behind me. I screamed and he laughed.
3. That was also the start of RIGHT behind me almost constantly. He follows me EVERYWHERE (and wants to be picked up)! Which leads to number 4.
4. I am having a very difficult time: (A) not stepping on him and (B) not falling over him while he is on my heels. Sadly, both have happened.
5. I have found that if he isn't at my feet, then he's into something. He has found his independence to go ALL OVER the apartment. I now have to keep our bedroom and both bathroom doors closed during the day. Which leads to number 6 (which is the best).
6. He is REALLY fast. A couple days ago I bought him a new toothbrush and toothpaste. It came packaged with plastic on top of cardboard. I took both out and threw the box/plastic in the spare bathroom garbage. This morning when the phone rang and I went to get it, he 'somehow' pushed open the bathroom door, lifted the toilet lidS, got the plastic out of the garbage, and was using the plastic like a bowl to scoop water out of the toilet. SOO GROSS! The cardboard box was still left in the toilet and Jack was having the time of his life. No pictures of this. Do they make toilet locks?
Finally, the best way I can put it is this paragraph I read recently by Dr. James Dobson.
"The dinner table is one potential battlefield where a parent can easily get ambushed. You can't win there! A strong willed child is like a good military general who constantly seeks an advantageous place to take on the enemy. He need look no further than the dinner table...Three times a day, a very tiny youngster can simply refuse to open his mouth. No amount of coercion can make him eat what he doesn't want to eat."
The only thing he will eat is CHEESE! And not just any cheese. No, he wants Tilla-Moos! It's Monteray Jack squares or nothing! Everything else I get back.
What an incredibly fun (and fast) stage!! I have loved watching his development (and knowing that he is developing normally) and am so thankful he is part of our family forever. Everyday he makes me smile and laugh... and on occasion, cry. But, I love being a mother and I am so thankful for my opportunity to do so. It has blessed my life.

4 comments:

M & S Eagar said...

Don't you love feeding children? (note the sarcasm). Brady has become practically impossible to FEED. Everything he use to eat he just doesn't like anymore! Good Luck...at least he likes a healthy food. He's getting so big!

THE BEAN FAMILY : aaron,candace,ashlyn,alysse, and macey said...

oh welcome to the wonderful world of toddlers! Isnt it great. ANd to answer your question yes they make toilet locks.They sell them at target, and babys' r us... i know for sure. I HAD to purchase some just the other day because alysse has found a new talent of filling to toilet with anything she can get her hands on! So Enjoy they only get faster, smarter, and busier. But they are soooo dang cute!

Erin said...

Jack looks so cute with that baseball cap on. Bryson refuses to wear them. He hates anything on his head.

kdance said...

Yes, there are toilet locks! I can relate to everything you just listed off. Evan also loves the vacuum. I just stepped on the poor kid yesterday!